Through a minor in Viticulture and Enology, students will learn the essential natural history and biology of wine grapes, systems, and technologies of grape and wine production, as well as the basic chemistry of grape and wine analysis. Those interested in pursuing a minor in Viticulture and Enology need to complete at least 14 credits.
Prior to declaration of the minor, students must:
- have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- complete at least one college-level course in general biology
- BIOG 1140, 1440, 1500; BIOEE 1610, 1780; PLSCI 1115
- complete at least one college-level course in general chemistry
- CHEM 1560 or 2070
- complete VIEN 1104
All courses for the minor must be taken as a letter grade and a “C” or better in each class is required.
Required core courses (8 credits):
- VIEN 1104 – Wines and Vines Lecture (Fall/Spring, 3 credits)
- VIEN 1105 - Wines and Vines Lab (Fall, 2 credits)
- VIEN 2204 – Grapes to Wines Lecture (Fall, 3 credits)
A minimum of 6 additional credits chosen from the following courses:
- VIEN 2205 – Grapes to Wines Lab (Fall, 2 credits)
- FDSC 2206 - Fermentation of Food (Spring, 1 credit)
- VIEN 2310 – The Science and Technology of Beer (Fall, 1 credit)
- VIEN 2340 - Cider Production: Apples and Fermented Juice (Spring, 1 credit)
- VIEN 2360 – Distillation Principles and Practices Lecture (Spring, 1 credit)
- VIEN 2400 – Wines and Grapes: Composition and Analysis (Fall, 3 credits)
- VIEN 2610 - Fall Vineyard Practicum (Fall, 2 credits)
- VIEN 3200 – Grape Pest Management (Fall, 3 credits)
- VIEN 3300 - The Science of Grapevines (Fall, 2 credits)
- VIEN 3440 – Viticulture and Vineyard Management (Spring, 2 credits)
- VIEN 4310 – The Science and Technology of Beer Laboratory (Fall, 1.5 credits)
- VIEN 4340 - Cider Production Laboratory (Spring, 1.5 credits)
- VIEN 4360 – Distillation Principles and Practices Laboratory (Spring, 1.5 credits)
- VIEN 4400 – Wine and Grape Flavor Chemistry (Spring, 3 credits)
- VIEN 4500 – Winemaking Theory and Practice I (Fall, 2 credits)
- VIEN 4510 – Winemaking Theory and Practice I Lab (Fall, 1 credit)
- VIEN 4650 – Wine Microbiology (Fall, 3 credits)
- VIEN 4700 – Winemaking Theory and Practice II (Spring, 2 credits)
- VIEN 4710 – Winemaking Theory and Practice II Lab (Spring, 1 credit)
- VIEN 5660 - Current Topics in the Biology of Wine Microbes (Spring, 2 credits)
Steps to completing the minor:
- Review the minor requirements, and complete VIEN 1104.
- Complete the Viticulture and Enology Minor Application. Submit a copy to Garrett Downing, email@example.com, and retain a copy for your records. Submitting this application is required for inclusion on the V&E Minor email lists and directory, and students without a submitted application will not be considered pursuing a minor in Viticulture & Enology. We encourage you to complete it as soon as you know you would like to pursue the minor.
- Complete the courses required for the Viticulture and Enology minor.
- Prior to graduating it is the student’s responsibility to meet with the undergraduate coordinator to confirm completion of the minor prior to the last day of classes in the semester he/she graduates.