Back to top

Degree Programs

Students interested in studying viticulture or enology at the graduate level can apply to one of three degree programs at Cornell University: the M.P.S. (Master of Professional Studies), M.S. (Master of Science), or Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).  Those who have completed coursework during their undergraduate studies in scientific subject areas pertinent to viticulture and enology (e.g., horticulture, food science, biology, microbiology, chemistry, biochemistry, ecology, botany) are generally eligible to apply.  Students without a science background are required to take coursework, and may be required to attain additional experience, before applying.

Master of Professional Studies

The Master of Professional Studies is a course-based professional degree intended primarily for second career or re-entry students who want an intensive two or three semester graduate program that includes an in-depth special project and experience in vineyards or wine production to prepare for careers in the wine/grape industry.  The M.P.S. degree does not involve a formal research project, and is not advisable for students who may wish to continue on for a Ph.D. program. To request more information about M.P.S. degree options, please complete the form.

Masters of Science and Doctoral Degree

The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees at Cornell are research-based, and require that each student write a thesis (for the M.S.) or dissertation (for the Ph.D.) based upon original research that is expected to be publishable.  The usual time for completion of an M.S. is two or three years; completion of the Ph.D. typically requires three to four years of coursework and research.  Most M.S. and Ph.D. students at Cornell receive scholarship and stipend support during their studies, in the form of Teaching Assistantships (TAs), fellowships, or grant funded assistantships.

For more information about these degree options: